Disclaimer: These opinions are my own, and I definitely don’t get paid to obsess over HGTV =D The images are mostly all from HGTV’s Instagram, except my garden photo, and all are linked to original sources.
My boyfriend and I watch A LOT of HGTV. Do you?
Here’s a list [in order] of the shows I enjoy:
- Fixer Upper: How could you not love Chip and Joanna?! They’re so cute. Aside from the fact that pretty much every house Jo does is gray and white, I love watching them together. This season has been pretty fun with different kinds of houses.
- Property Brothers: They took some time to grow on me, but after watching them on Playing House [in a pregnant woman’s dirty daydream–click! you won’t be disappointed], I found I liked their sense of humor and started watching.
Fortunately, this season they stopped with the “WHY ARE YOU SHOWING US A HOUSE X AMOUNT OVER BUDGET!?” gimmick, and instead show people what they want without a remodel.
Also, they have less of the fake “I hate remodels” line that every couple has even though they’re on a dang remodel show.
Here’s a behind the scenes clip of Jonathan and Drew talking to Jessica St Clair about removing “shag carpeting”.
- Love It or List It: The drama is cheesy, and it clearly takes a long time to do all of the stupid camera angles where they pretend they’re conversing and watching the couples, but I like the premise of getting to remodel your house and then potentially choose to buy a new house.
- Flip or Flop: Super staged drama and sadly a broken marriage, but I like the end result of the houses and the flip premise. After having worked in a construction company that REFUSED to install shitty cheap travertine because it’s a nightmare to install, I laugh every time they put their signature travertine tile in.
- House Hunter / International: Meh, I’m not really into this show because there’s no host and usually the international one the people have weird expectations. Don’t even get me started on tiny house hunters [ugh]. But, House Hunters is McBoyfriend’s favorite, and I prefer it over COPS.
Apparently there are other shows on the channel that come on at like 3-8am, so I’ve never even heard of Good Bones or most of the other listed in the link at the top. I do also like the one where the woman in Detroit flips one house per season.
I won’t ruin your life with all of the stuff I found out about home remodel shows while I was researching them to inform our customers that real life home remodels are not like tv ones, ESPECIALLY price-wise. However, I did read some articles about their Dream Home Giveaway and wanted to warn you away from that. First, you have to uproot your life, second you have to pay taxes on that million dollar home. Can you afford that? I can’t. One of the articles I read, one guy who won a house went bankrupt and found out several other previous million dollar home “winners” had as well. So, be wary. Though, I think the winner has already been announced or will be very soon.
Not to brag, but all of the plants in this picture are dead now except for the ferns, which came with the house.
Also, I wish they had G shows! That’s right, Home and Garden Television, I want Garden shows! It would be pretty popular I think right now with the organic and home garden interests. I would love to see different kinds of gardens, like apartment mini gardens, lavish million dollar home gardens, etc. What do you think?
Let me know if you’re into the DIY house shows, if you like to fixer-upper your own house, or if you need me to shun you for hating Chip + Joanna [just kidding, we still love you].